John Trim Centre Resources
Language Centre resources are catalogued in the University of Cambridge Newton Library Catalogue.
University of Cambridge Newton Library Catalogue:
Scope and activitiesThe John Trim Centre team
- develops and maintains the resource catalogue and the media archives
- provides language learning and teaching materials and source documents for
- users of the Independent Learning Centre
- the Centre's teaching staff
- the Centre's course development teams
- carries out bibliographic and media-related searches in response to staff and user requests
- supports the study, teaching and research of language, literature, culture, history and thought across disciplines, including the provision of multimedia resources
- works together with language teaching officers, lectors and other language teaching staff to promote and develop the use of the Centre's resources
- manages the Centre's use of various copyright and licensing schemes, including off-air recordings backup services
- liaises closely with other Cambridge libraries, including the MML Faculty Library, the Faculty of Asian & Middle Eastern Studies Library, the Classics Faculty Library, the English Faculty Library, the University Library, many college libraries, as well as Anglia Ruskin University Language Centre Library.
Staff are available to provide information about the specialist collections and other resource related enquiries. Ask at reception or send an email to one of the following.
Language learning: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Language Collection
- The main collection comprises multimedia language learning resources in over 140 languages, including languages for international communication, indigenous and heritage languages, less widely taught languages, pidgins and creoles, as well as material in some endangered and extinct languages.
- Most of the resources are on instant access for use on the premises. However, some resources are available on demand only and will need to be ordered in the Enquiry Point in advance.
- For teaching staff of the university there is a restricted 'Educational Loan Scheme'.
- There are around 30,000 items in the John Trim Centre including printed material, sound recordings, video recordings, foreign language films, periodicals, pamphlets, multimedia, electronic and online resources. The Centre's Collection Development Policy is reviewed annually.