Pressland Fund Bursary Scheme
Bursaries for Language Study Abroad for Science and Medical Students
Administered by the Language Centre, the AJ Pressland Fund offers bursaries of up to £1,000 to support language study abroad for students within the Schools of Biological Science, Clinical Medicine, Physical Science and Technology.
Students should be planning to study a language overseas for up to 4 weeks during the Long Vacation and funds awarded may be used to support course fees, accommodation and travel as required.
Application information for 2014 will be available here at the start of Lent term.
Applications must be received by the advertised deadline in order to be considered. If you would like to apply but, for any reason, cannot meet the deadline, please contact us as soon as possible in advance of the deadline as it may be possible to seek a limited extension in exceptional circumstances.
In order to be eligible for a bursary, applicants must:
- be current students of the University of Cambridge
- be studying within one of the Schools of Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Technology or Clinical Medicine (see http://map.cam.ac.uk/directory/ for details)
- have a confirmed place to continue their studies at the University of Cambridge in the next academic year
NB - you should be returning to study within one of the Schools mentioned above
Bursaries are intended for the benefit of the applicant only and are not transferable. Bursaries are for use during the long vacation in the year the award is made only; if successful applicants are not able to complete the course in the specified year, the bursary must be repaid in full and a new application submitted in the following year.
Eligible projects must:
- enable the applicant to study a foreign language overseas
- take place over the long vacation at the end of the current academic year
- last not more than four weeks
- be supported by a recommendation from your Tutor or Supervisor
Applicants should demonstrate that the following criteria are met:
- Successful prior language learning (in the language needed where possible)
- Demonstrable benefit to your studies, research and/or future career aspirations
- Successful completion of CULP courses (in the Language Centre) where possible
- You will be completing intensive (i.e. minimum 20 hours per week) language training
Applications can be made for:
- course fees
- travel costs *
- accommodation *
* travel costs will only be met where language study is the main or only reason for your trip
* accommodation costs will only be met for the duration of the language courses
Further information is available from the Pressland Fund Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful applicants will be required to submit a project report. Reports will be considered by the Bursary Committee for an additional special award of £150. Previous sucessful reports can be seen here.