Language Learning Support - Conversation Exchange
Welcome to the Conversation Exchange
- a chance to practise the language you are learning with a native speaker!
Would you like to
- Speak the language you are learning with a native speaker?
- Plan your own practise session in informal settings of your choice?
- Help someone learn your mother tongue?
- Input from a native speaker?
- An alternative to classroom learning?
- An opportunity for intercultural communication?
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is my partner?
You will be put in contact with a native speaker of the language you are learning who wants to learn your native language.
How does the Conversation Exchange work?
You email the person and decide when to meet in person, where, for how long and how frequently.
Is it free?
Yes! When you meet, you exchange conversation in your native language for conversation in the language of your partner. For this reason you must both be in Cambridge.
When does it end?
If you wish to discontinue your Conversation Exchange, inform the Conversation Exchange co-ordinator so a pairing can be arranged with somebody else.
Is it conversation only?
You and your partner structure your own meetings. Informal conversation is the main aim, but you may choose to incorporate other activities that assist with your language learning.
Before you register please read the following guidelines.
- The sole purpose of the Conversation Exchange is to offer you an opportunity to practice your language skills.
- Exchanges are set up between two individuals only (no groups).
- Only your name and email will be passed to your exchange partner. All other registration information is only used to allocate a suitable partner.
- Once you have been assigned a partner , you are expected to contact him or her and to remain committed to the exchange.
- It is the partners' responsibility to arrange meetings and to keep up the exchange.
- While the Language Centre will attempt to find an appropriate exchange partner it cannot guarantee a partner for you nor the suitability of the person selected.
- If you wish to change partners please contact the Conversation Exchange co-ordinator.
- Please inform the Conversation Exchange co-ordinator if you no longer wish to be considered for an exchange.
- If your partner decides to end the exchange, you must not attempt to continue the exchange or contact him or her further.
- The Conversation Exchange co-ordinator should be contacted in case of problems.
- The Conversation Exchange co-ordinator may contact you in confidence for feedback and monitoring purposes.
- All your personal data will be destroyed within 12 months of leaving the exchange programme.
How to Register
To register for the Conversation Exchange, please copy the following text into an email,
fill in the details and send it to: email@example.com.
------ copy from here -----
Title: Miss | Mr | Mrs | Ms | Dr | Prof (delete as necessary)
Status: Student | Staff | Other (delete as necessary)
Language(s) offered: (near native speaker competence required)
Note about yourself:
(e.g. level of language, specific regional language (if applicable), interests, age.)
(e.g. male/female or no preference, specific regional language (if applicable), age.)
How long would you like to stay in the exchange?
(e.g. until July 2012, July 2013 etc.)
To tie in with the Data Protection Act 1998 we need permission from you to pass your email address on to other people on the Conversation Exchange.
I give permission to pass my email address on to other people on the Conversation Exchange. Yes / No
------ copy to here -----
Conversation Exchange co-ordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org